In 1958, under the leadership of manager Galen Hartung, Landmark constructed a new feed mill in Cottage Grove. More..
In 1967, the cooperative built a 500,000 bushel grain storage and drying facility to keep up with growing yields. More..
In 1984, the cooperative moved from the old Cottage Grove State Bank building to a new building at the corner of County N and County BB, formerly the site of More..
On May 18, 1933, we came together so that farmers in Dane County could pool their money to receive discounted rates on fuel. Founded by Floyd Morhaus, Edwin Swenson, Carl Frydenleund, S.H. Kock and Ole Ihlund, the Dane County Farmers Union Cooperative Oil Company quickly became an important part of the small community of Cottage Grove, Wisconsin.
By 1934, sales had reached $55,390 under the management of Edwin Swenson, who would remain manager until 1943. By 1939, total stockholders of the cooperative stood at 592 and the business served over 1600 local patrons.
The 1950's saw the addition of a new feed mill under the leadership of Galen Hartung, who would remain the cooperative's manager for the next 34 years. Directors in 1960 included O.K. Anderson, Henry Kalcheuer, Allen Felland, Ronald Schulz and Roger Olson and by 1963, the Dane County Farmers Union Cooperative Oil Company had reached the milestone of $1 million in total sales.
Growth meant the cooperative had the keep meeting and exceeding its customers expectations, so in 1965 a new fertilizer plant was built in Cottage Grove to keep up with demand as area farmers found new and innovative ways to get more from their fields. Fertile fields meant bigger yields and so in 1967, under President Torn Stolen, the cooperative built a 500,000 bushel grain bin to keep up with its producers.
By 1979, sales for the cooperative had topped the $20 million mark. 1979 also marked the cooperative's first venture into high-tech with the installation of the company's first computer. After having taken over the old Cottage Grove Bank Building in 1972 to serve as the cooperative's headquarter, it outgrew its home once again which led to the construction of a new office and hardware building in 1984.
The 1990's saw many exciting changes for the cooperative and unprescedented growth. In 1990, after over three decades of services, Galen Hartung retired and Larry Swalheim replaced him as manager. By 1995, sales had reached $36 million and the cooperative changed its name to the Cottage Grove Cooperative.
The late 1990's and early 2000's saw several mergers which further strengthened the cooperative's ability to bring value to its members through volume buying and the ability to bring the best in technology to its producers. In 1997, the Cottage Grove Cooperative and Rio Cooperative merged, followed shortly thereafter by the acquisition of the Columbus Cooperative. By 2000, sales had reached $67 million and current President, John Blaska came on board. 2001 saw the cooperative acquire agronomy facilities in Juda, Edgerton, Milton and Harrison, Illinois which led into the merger of Cottage Grove Cooperative and Union Cooperative in Evansville to create the new Landmark Services Cooperative in 2003. In addition, a new feed production facility was built in Cottage Grove to keep up with growing local demand.
Recent years have seen several major building projects as Landmark works to keep up with demand from our many producers. 2004 saw the addition of a 2 million gallon liquid fertilizer terminal in Evansville and 2005 saw the acquisition of Southern Wisconsin Grain, increasing Landmark's grain storage capacity to almost 9 million bushels. Sales reached $235 million in 2007 and Landmark acquired Agri-Service Inc in Belleville, adding further grain storage capacity as well as a feed production facility and agronomy site. In 2008, Landmark acquired Grand River Cooperative in Markesan, followed shortly after in 2009 with the acquisition of Berlin Oil Company, extending Landmark's reach further north than ever before. Sales in 2008 reached a record $332 million.
In January of 2011, Landmark welcomed Robert Carlson, Jr. as the President and CEO of the cooperative, after the retirement of Larry Swalheim.
October 1st, 2011 marked the successful merger with Cooperative Plus, Inc. (CPI) headquartered in Burlington WI. The merger with CPI included seven locations in southeastern WI. CPI had divisions of Agronomy, Animal Nutrition, Energy and Grain.
With over a half of a billion dollars in sales and serving over 15,000 members throughout southern Wisconsin and northern Illinois, Landmark is proud to keep offering value, customer services and innovative solutions to each of our customers. We look forward to a bright future and plan to keep finding even better way to "work for you!