Creating SMART Energy Goals
With a complete evaluation of your operation and energy program in tip-top shape, the final step to set yourself up for success in 2018 is creating goals that are SMART:
- S – Set specific goals. Goals that are too broad or lacking direction are forgotten.
- M – Goals should be measurable. Though sometimes hard to quantify, including precise amounts can make your goals easily trackable. Stay on pace!
- A – Set attainable goals. Make sure any goal you create is within reasonable reach.
- R – Goals should be relevant. You will need to make sure your goals are in line with the direction you would like to take your operation.
- T – Goals should be time bound. Though it may seem like a daunting task, setting calendar deadlines on goals create urgency and hold you accountable to completing them.
Setting up and following through on operational goals gives you a long-term vision as well as short term motivation to get the ball rolling. Having a conversation with your trusted operational advisors about your goals for 2018 can strengthen your abilities to complete your goals – the first step towards your continued success is to create them!
- Book 40% of my fuel use (4,000g) for 2018 within the window of $2.20 – $2.35 by the end of March. Layer in an additional 20% (2,000g) by the end of the year.
- Reorganize the shop lubricants area by February 1st. Connect with Landmark Energy Representative to see what my options are to increase floor space. Top off bulk oil tanks (125g of Quiklift and 50g of 15W40) before Gift Cards for Gallons promotion ends – February 28th.
- Make a habit of keeping a closer eye on energy markets by utilizing BarChart (or other market information source) and text message market updates from Landmark Energy Representative and get up to date on the energy markets a minimum of once a week.