Mineral Supplements for Beef Cattle
Selecting the correct mineral supplements to support the growth and reproduction in beef cattle is essential to maintaining healthy animals. Most cattle get a large portion of their required minerals from high quality forages or grains. Those that aren’t provided by forages or grains can be supplemented with a mineral program. Minerals that are needed to support cattle nutrition, are classified as either macrominerals or microminerals.
Calcium and Phosphorus: Play hand-in-hand when it comes to the skeleton.
- 99% of total body calcium and 80% of total body phosphorus, are stored in the bones.
- The calcium and phosphorus stored within the bones aid in short-term dietary needs.
- Long-term deficiency: can cause bones to weaken or break. A decrease in either mineral or both combined, can cause a loss in weight gain or gaining efficiency, and reduce the amount of milk production in a lactating cow. A deficiency in phosphorus can also delay puberty in heifers and can delay mature cows from coming back into heat. A deficiency in calcium can affect the nervous and muscular systems from working properly.
Magnesium: Supports proper enzyme and nervous system functions along with a strong carbohydrate metabolism.
- Deficiency isn’t common but can accrue when cows are grazing lush fescue or small grain pastures during later winter and early spring.
Copper: Helps support enzyme systems essential for growth and development.
- Is the most commonly deficient mineral in grazing cattle.
- Symptoms of deficiency-reduced fertility, depressed immunity and reduced pigmentation of the hair.
- Manganese is required to have normal reproduction along with fetal and udder development.
- Deficiency symptoms: If an animal is deficient in selenium, it can cause white muscle disease to develop in newborn calves. This deficiency can also cause calves to be weak at birth. Often times, cows with selenium deficiency have increased rates of retained placentas and poor reproductive performance.
Zinc: Is needed for many enzymes and important for immunity, male reproduction, as well as skin and hoof health.
We have a variety of Landmark Ignite mineral tubs as well as bagged minerals that are fortified and will compliment any feeding program. Contact your Landmark Animal Nutritionist today.