Propane Autogas: The cleaner and easier alternative fuel
The popularity of propane autogas vehicles is increasing throughout the country. Fleets are discovering that propane autogas offers the lowest total cost-of-ownership available, reduced emissions and year-round reliability. Some of these fleets come from school buses, law enforcement, commercial delivery vehicles, or anyone who desires to convert their vehicle to run on propane. Landmark Services Cooperative recently had the opportunity to have Roger Hildreth, one of our Energy Products Specialists, speak with Pam Jahnke during the morning Farm Report on the benefits of propane autogas. “We can help from start to finish and we have different financing options,” stated Roger Hildreth.
There are many hidden costs associated with a vehicle over its lifetime. Aside from propane autogas consistently costing less than diesel, avoiding hidden maintenance costs will make the autogas engine edge out diesel. A typical diesel school bus oil change is 20 quarts. The propane autogas oil change is only 7 quarts and has a longer drain interval. Not only will you spend less on oil, you will not have to deal with the environmental burden of managing the disposal of waste oil. “The maintenance of the propane vehicle, that’s where you start to see the savings,” commented Roger Hildreth.
Propane autogas is a clean burning alternative fuel. Everyone benefits from the lower exhaust emissions from propane powered school buses, particularly the students and the bus drivers. In addition, bus drivers enjoy the quieter operation of their buses that run on propane autogas. This allows bus drivers to focus on the road as well as more easily hear and communicate with the students creating a more pleasant and safer ride for all.
Benefits of autogas are also seen on cold weather operability. Diesel fuel needs to be treated and equipment also needs to be plugged in on cold nights to keep them warm and ready to start in the morning. Propane autogas vehicles start up instantly and the cabin warms up quickly. Technicians won’t have to spend time out in the cold to get the buses started and your electricity bill will be lower due to not having to use block heaters to warm the vehicles.
Summary of Benefits of Propane Autogas
- Takes less oil (7 quarts compared to 20+ for diesel)
- No DEF or additional exhaust filters
- Maintenance friendly engines
- No electric block heaters (saves on electricity costs)
- Propane contracting helps manage fuel costs
- Tax Incentives
- Clean burning alternative fuel
- Low emissions equals reduced carbon footprint
- Less waste oil to dispose
- No cold start issues in winter (propane does not gel)
- Cabin heats up faster in winter (improved driver and student comfort)
- More throttle response for better pick-up
- Quieter running engine (more pleasant and safer ride for driver and students)
- Cleaner exhaust enables longer allowable idling times
To learn more about propane autogas and connect with a Landmark Services Cooperative Energy Products Specialist, call 1.800.236.3276 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.